Ultimate Guide Zilean Supp (June 22)
Quick Zilean AP Support Build
Best Overall Build
Hello ! Nice to meet you, I'm Mystero . I am rank Master on EUW and I have been playing Zilean since he exists. Looooong time (get it? Time lmao). Feel free to add me if you have any more question I will be happy to help you more. This guide will go through Zilean and its best assets.
Good question young player ! Zilean is an AP support capable of keeping his teammates alive, not like a Lulu who gives more HP but can revive them and change a fight. He has the biggest AOE(Area of Effect) stun in the game with his double bomb. Still not convinced ? Well He has a 99% slow targeted, deadly. Zilean is an all rounder, when you feel like choosing between lulu or brand, pick Zilean. You cover the damages, the cc and the peel. Don't hesitate !
Well first go to school, then look the table of contents on your left. You will be able to find the part you are interested with, even if I recommend to read it all of course.
Runes are very important! They should reflect your gameplay and help you during the game. I don't recommend you to copy runes that you don't understand. That is why I will give you two sets of runes you can use. One for aggressive players, one for passive players.
This one is made for aggressive players who wants to fight. Even if Zilean can be weak in early the damages of the bombs are very useful. You can even use Aery to shield your allies. With this one, poke as much as you can and try to annoy your opponents
Not fan of early fights ? Not a problem, Zilean is very good in late and this rune build should keep you alive for the begining of the game. Throw bombs when you can and keep your carry safe with your E. Stay close to get guardian on danger and wait for the scale and fights.
- Get kills to win
- Passive is the key
I won't tell you why you need flash but exhaust I will. Exhaust is one of the strongest spell on bot. It blocks LOTS of damage from the ennemy and during the game. However if you are really aggressive with a carry who can follow (like Samira) an ignite can be chosen. I still recommend the exhaust.
- The classic
Not a surprise but you should max your Q, always. Your E for the slow and then the W for less cooldown on the reset. When you can, the ultimate.
- Skill Path
So here is the easiest way to understand how to build your champion.
- 1 . Support Item
- 2. Boots
- 3. Core item (never change, or rarely. Often the mythic)
- 4. Adaptable item, depends on the game
- 5. Adaptable item, depends on the game
- 6. Build closer, depending of your item above
Easy isn't it ? The adapable items depend on the state of the game, the ennemies, your allies, what you need ect.. Example: I need anti heal, I'll buy some. Adaptable item. So for Zilean here is what I like to do.
- 1. First, support item
- 2. Ionian Boots, gives move speed and CDR (cooldown reduction) only what Zilean likes
- 3. Shurelya's battlesong, what a strong items, gives you the range to stun and help your allies to follow you in fights. Can be swapped to a Luden Echo if you need AP in the game
- 4. Anti-heal, so strong against almost everyone.
- 5. Zhonya, you need to stay alive and use your ult on your friends. This item can help you to survive one shots and tempo to ult the right person
- 6. Honestly, it depends. I like to do a bit more AP with the last item like a Cosmic Drive but the item to get more wards is useful as well. Take a look at the game and take what's best. Need AP ? More AP it is. No specific needs ? More wards, vision saves the world. Oh and , don't forget to get control wards and destroy some.
Let's go through the basics once again
Q -> Bomb which deals damages after 3 seconds. It cancels backs even before the explosion
W -> reset 10s of your cd, not working on the ult
E -> Slow an ennemy or speed an ally, up to 99%
R -> Place a mark that revives an ally who dies with it
- Q>W>Q -> If two bombs hit the same target, stun in AOE and explode the first one
- E(enemy)>Q>W>Q>E -> Simple to use, you slow the ennemy and throw your bombs. Once he is stunned two options, you wait for the stun to end to slow him again or you boost your ally
- E(yourself)>Q>W>Q>E -> Same but you use your E on you to start, harder to land the stun
- E(enemy)>Q>W>E(enemy)>Q -> When you need more slow to be sure to hit, wouldn't recommend to use it a lot but useful against speed champions like Zeri or Garen.
- R -> Try to ult before the last auto might kill your ally or spell. Don't ult to "protect" or your enemies will just wait for it to finish and you will both die.
That’s the weak part, play slow take your time(tiiiime). You need to poke your opponent with your bombs and nothing else. You have enough range to throw your bombs without getting hit buy autos, but your E has less range so don’t try hit. If the enemy engages you can try a stun and speed your ally to get safe. You can fight under some conditions, first be sure that you won’t be in danger even if you miss your stun. Second slow your target when he comes in range, don’t run to him you won’t reach him, and you probably swill get poke hard. When he is slow, time for the double bomb. Once he is stunned, auto him and speed your adc to help him, you can slow again the enemy if needed. Once ethe stun and slow is over you can walk back. Your cooldowns are long and you can’t afford a fight with auto attacks. Keep doing that, poke, fight when they get in range or block theirs and back to farm.
Time to be active ! No rest for the wicked, you have to be behind your carries and keep an eye on them. At this moment, people will start to group for objectives around the map. Stay aware of teamfights. If you can slow a target and stun it, good engage ! if you can't, stay safe and wait for your team to engage and then follows it by a stun. Remember if you die first, your ult is useless. Stay close to your carries during fight and besides your stun you have to keep a eye on their HP ! When one of them is about to die, ult them but not above 10% HP. Remember to speed your allies during the fight so they can reposition easily. You can roam by using your E and the poking continues when you can
Easiest part for Zilean, your cds are very low and you throw many bombs. Same as mid game, stay aware for teamfights. The main difference is the engage, unless you can trap an ennemy you're too weak to survive a risky engage. Either let your team or their team engage and you can follow no need to risk your ult for an engage.
Thank you for reading it all, as a rewards for your implication let me give you my last tips and secrets that helped me to become the player I am. I tried to cover most things with this guide but of course I can't do it all.
- Ult under 10% HP -> You have to be aware of your enemies damages so you can ult at the right time. If you ult above or miss calculate the damages, they will just wait and you will waste your ult
- Speed your allies, all the time -> When you get out of the base, when you chase, when you teamfights, there isn't a bad moment to speed your allies with your E
- Zilean passive is way more efficient for levels 6 - 11 - 16 -> It gives a bigger advantage to use than other levels
- Use the minions to stun -> You can use your combos on the minions and stun your ennemies. They won't see it coming and it is way more difficult to avoid
- Don't ult a dead man -> If someone is dead no matter what, surrounded by 5 ennemies don't ult him. He will die again the next second and you will waste your ult
- Take some risk -> It is in condratiction of what I said before but if you are at ease with Zilean you can try to engage and not be scared because you can recover with your ult. It helps to try risky engages on valuable targets
- Use Aery to shield -> If you speed your ally, Aery will shield him. It can protects from ignites for example.
- Know your value -> You are a target for the ennemies and they will try to kill you first, be careful !
- Use your allies -> You can throw the bombs on your allies to stun enemies as well !
There you go, you are ready to start a game with Zilean ! Be sure your runes are set, you are botlane, poking with your adc at your side. Stay away from danger and once you see an opportunity, stun !
I hope you understand better how Zilean works, if yes feel free to add a comment and give me some feedback I love to read them. Good luck, stay safe and most importantly, don't tilt you got this !
Mystero, The Master Zilean.
EUW Master Zilean / Pyke OTP
Share your thoughs, feedback, comments...
When im going with the guardian page i normally go with 3 points in Q -> max E -> max W -> max Q as i feel that the extra damage/cc that you get from your bombs doesnt really add that much, wheras when playing defensively having the extra increase to the movementspeed buff can really help trying to survive a difficult lane/jungle ganks. on a side note i tend to switch between zhonyas and redemption depending on the enemy team. what do you think about this?