Twisted Fate Guide - by Halfhand, Rank 1 TF WORLD
Best Overall Runes
Best Overall Build
Before you read through my guide I would like to introduce myself as a way to make my guide more credible. I'm Halfhand, the Rank 1 Twisted Fate player in the world. I've been playing Twisted Fate since season 6 and have accumulated over 1 million mastery points on him.
In season 12 I reached Grandmaster playing Twisted Fate with a 66% winrate. I am currently aiming for Challenger.
My accounts: Hålfhand (EUW), Halfhånd (EUW) My Midlane Champion pool: Twisted Fate, Orianna, Viktor, Ryze, Cassiopeia, Syndra
- You don't need to be a mechanical god to win games on him. Most Twisted Fate players like 'Dopa' have great macro understanding which allows them to win a lot of games without having to rely on mechanical outplays and solo kills.
- fits in basically every team composition. He's not AD, so you don't have to worry about having a full AD team and his kit is perfect for setting up your team for victory.Twisted Fate
- His ultimateis the perfect tool to abuse bad positioning from your opponents.Destiny
- High elo junglers love playing with goodplayers, as he is the perfect champion to set them up for succes (Global UltimateTwisted Fateand point and click CCDestiny). This is especially important in the current meta where playing for your jungler is a really good strategy to win more games (jungle is OP).Pick a Card
- 's passiveTwisted Fategives you extra gold for every minion you kill. This allows you to get a gold lead without even getting any kills.Loaded Dice
- Try to get around 7cs+ /minute.'s passiveTwisted Fategives you extra gold for killing minions. Your last hitting skill will also be something you can rely on every single game.Loaded Dice
- Don't be tunneled in on trying to kill your opponent in lane.'s kit isn't really designed to do this. Focus on surviving the lane and try winning the game through good use of your ultimateTwisted Fate.Destiny
- Don't permanently group with your team. If you have your ultimateup you can easily go into sidelane to farm solo XP/gold. Keep watching your team though, so that you can ult in if they need you.Destiny
- Play towards one win condition. Its often better to ult botlane 4 times than to split your ults between top and bot. Play towards someone on your team that is performing well, don't try to help your 0/6get back into the game. Ignore lanes if they are too far behind to become relevant again.Nasus
- Make sure you have a fullybefore using your ultimateStacked Deckfor optimal damage output.Destiny
- Watch some of my educational gameplay commentaries/coaching sessions to better understand how to play Twisted Fate.
- Good waveclear
- Extra gold from passiveLoaded Dice
- Great roaming potential withDestiny
- Point & click CC withPick a Card
- Great champion to onetrick
- Perfect jungle/adc facilitator
- Has a lot of bad matchups
- No escape tools (immobile)
- Requires a lot of macro understanding 🧠
- Really hard to master
- Low damage compared to other meta champions in midlane
👑 Dopa: 'I personally don’t think that the choice of runes matter that much. Runes are balanced, so using one rune over another is a matter of taste. The important thing is that you have to play according to the runes and spells that you have chosen.'
Matchups where you want to take the Electrocute setup:
What do all my runes in the Electrocute setup do exactly?
Matchups where you want to take the Unsealed Spellbook setup:
The reason it is good against these champions is because when going spellbook you can go into resolve tree secondary.
What do all my runes in the Spellbook setup do exactly?
When I go the
When I run the
Ability skill order= Q
- Skill Path
- Expand for a detailed explanation
- Expand for a detailed explanation
- Expand for a detailed explanation
Here are a few important concepts you should understand when playing
When to play for your botlane ✔️
- Your botlane has a lead over their opponent. (More cs, more turret plates, more items, ...) This indicates they are probably better players, hence why it might be a good idea to get them further ahead.
- Your support has a strong follow up on your ultimate+ gold card combo. (Examples;Destiny,Nautilus,Thresh,Leona,Pyke,Blitzcrank, ...) This makes it really easy to CC chain the enemy and kill them.Bard
- Your adc is a hardcarry marksman. (Examples;,Jinx,Aphelios,Vayne,Twitch)Tristana
When not to play for your botlane ❌
- Your botlane is really far behind
- Your support has a no decent follow up on your ultimate+ gold card combo. (Examples;Destiny,Lulu,Senna,Karma,Renata Glasc,Soraka, ...)Janna
- Your adc is a supportive marksman. (Examples;,Jhin,Ezreal,Sivir)Ashe
When to play for your toplaner ✔️
- Your toplaner is stomping his opponent.
- Your toplaner has good followup on your ultimate+ gold card combo. (Examples;Destiny,Camille,Jax,Urgot)Renekton
- The toplane matchup is volatile. Meaning; The first champion to get ahead will most likely roll over the other one. (Examples;vsFiora,IreliavsRiven,DariusvsJayce)Tryndamere
When not to play for your toplaner ❌
- Your toplaner is really far behind. (Don't help your toplaner when he is 0/5. Even when he is spam pinging for help. It makes more sense to play for a winning lane rather then trying to get a losing lane back in the game.)
- Your toplaner has no followup on your ultimate+ gold card combo. (Examples;Destiny,Vladimir,Gangplank,Teemo)Kayle
- The toplane matchup is tank versus tank or scaling vs scaling. (Examples;vsDr. Mundo,MalphitevsVladimir)Kayle
When to play for your jungler ✔️
- Your jungler is stomping his counterpart. (more cs, higher level, more items, ...) This idicates he is probably a better player, hence why it might be a good idea to get him further ahead.
- Your jungler is a carry champion. (Examples;,Rengar,Evelynn,Lee Sin,Hecarim,Kha'Zix, ...)Kayn
When not to play for your jungler ❌
- Your jungler is really far behind compared to his counterpart
- Your jungler is a tank. (Examples;,Amumu,Sejuani,Zac)Rammus
❗ Disclaimer. These are just general examples. League of Legends is far more complicated than this, but hopefully this gives you a general idea on how to play towards your win condition.
🗺️ Map awareness is a really important skill for every
At level 5 you will need 2 q's to kill the caster minions, this strategy can be used to get a good recall/base timer. You can shove in the wave fast, recall and by the time you are back in lane you won't miss any minions. Example of me doing it here: https://youtu.be/j_jvdevdvGE?t=308
Running my rune setup you will have 3 dematerializers at the start of every game. Use one demat on every type of minion to get more damage on those minions throughout the game. For every demat used you will deal 6% extra damage to that type of minion. You can also use your dematerializer to get a good base. Example of me doing it here: https://youtu.be/bDILDuIr8Eo?t=266
Twisted Fate's ultimate isn't completely global. Ulting to a sidelane you will have to walk into the jungle/river. This is why you want vision control over these areas, as then walking into river/jungle is a lot less dangerous. Warding the river is the single most important thing to establish river control. It will allow you to use your ultimate a lot more effectively. Try to always have at least 1
Always try to play for your jungler when the first Scuttle crab is about to spawn. Scuttle crab gives a lot of gold and junglers will want to take atleast one of them. Make sure you have your wave pushed in so you can move first in order to help your jungler if needed. If you can't move first because you managed your wave badly or the enemy outplayed you, ping your jungler back. Then he has to decide whether he wants to give the crab or contest it. If he doesn't want to contest try to coordinate with your team to get the other crab. The important thing to remember here is that you have to play for your jungler. If he doesn't care about the crab then you can just stay in lane, no problem. But most junglers will want to get at least one crab at 3:15.
Synergy with your jungler is really important when playing Twisted Fate. Try to coordinate ganks together. If you want to ult bot at level 6, let your jungler know. That way he can alter his pathing to be botside when you are about to hit 6. If you are 4 man bot you can often easily secure dragon after ganking.
Wave management is a very important skill to have as a
The first minion waves Into easy matchups like
Into harder matchups where it doesn't really make sense to look for early trades like
Once you hit level 6
These are some basic wave management tips for Twisted Fate. I could write a 30 page guide on wave management alone so to make it more easy for you guys to take in I highly recommend you to watch Curtis his video about 'Midlane Fundamentals - wave management' shown below.
Your first ultimate method 1 This is the most basic method and is also used by Dopa in most of his games. For your first ult you should try to base at lvl 5 to buy your first items. In most games you want these items on your first base;
Your first ultimate method 2 Method 2 is very abusable in lower elos. You can greed and stay in lane to get level 6, then base, buy items and look for an ultimate from the base (example; walking straight bot). After your ult bot you can walk back to midlane and you will most likely not lose a lot of minions. The reason this only works in lower elos is because in Higher elos I often get poked out before that. Lower elo players will rarely punish you, meaning you can stay in lane longer and greed your base timings. Example of me ulting from base: https://youtu.be/68KBNki_iVk?t=424
Ult usage after that Your ults after that are really dependent on the game state. I myself often try to ult after I base. I do this because I will have spend all my gold and therefore I will have more damage. If you ult somewhere with 2k in the bank you are missing out on alot of damage. So, run from fountain to bot/top, ult in and after that you can run mid to catch your minions.
Sidelane control Always try to heavily control one side of the map. For example you play fully for botside in order to secure dragon soul. Or you play fully for topside in order to get multiple heralds and play the map. Ulting bot, then top, then bot again is often a bad idea since its better to play for one winning side instead of cutting losses on both sides.
DO NOT 5 MAN ARAM MID WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR R (
Lane swaps Once your bot ganks with
Basic rule set of catching waves After about 15 - 20 minutes the laning phase will most of the time be ending. In most games the XP / Gold is shared like this; - The ADC & Support will take the midlane experience. - You and the toplaner will catch the sidewaves. This can change from bot to top depending on the game state. - The jungler will catch waves if really needed and farm the jungle camps.
❗ Splitpushing Disclaimer ❗
Congratulations you've made it to the end of my guide! I would like to thank you for reading through. I hope you learned something and wish you the best of luck with your games 🙂 If you have any questions feel free to join my discord server
Rank 1 Twisted Fate Player WORLD