S13 Thresh Support Guide
Masters Support with 300 ping on NA
Quick Thresh Tank Support Build
Best Overall Build
Matchups: Threats & Synergies
- Guardian (Not rec)
- Predator (High risk)
- Group 1
Intro: About Me
Hey guys, I'm Turtle. I've been masters for 2 seasons in a row now while playing at 300 ping on NA servers (due to being in India for the time being). I have also been a
I hope you find this helpful and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask in comments or come watch me stream and ask there and I will try my best to answer all questions.
Check out more of my content on my twitch and youtube!
Come by the stream and ask any questions you might have! I try to stream daily, and it always is content as I am climbing the ranks while being on 300 ping!
Pros and Cons
-Strong Engage + Peel
-Strong throughout all stages of game
-Pick potential is high + Good gank setups
-High skill ceiling
-Can be easily punished if out of position
At the start of the game, make sure to know if your team has enough damage to be able to invade the enemy jungle, but also make sure to check that the enemies don't have a better level 1 comp. Good invades can lead to strong starts which can help you snowball and close out your games faster. YOU DO NOT NEED TO INVADE EVERY GAME
Sometimes the lane phase is not the best so you will have to play it a bit more passive and wait till the enemy makes a mistake. Once any mistake is noticed, then you want to punish it and take over that lane.
The key to laning with
Thresh is easily able to control waves and apply pressure by just sitting in bushes and zoning the enemy because they have to respect your engage, so sometimes you want to be thinking about just applying pressure rather than hard commiting to a play.
This champion was made to be able to roam and help teammates easily due to the kit being so good. You have options to help teammates get kills in other lanes, or help them away from danger, while also helping the jungler secure obejectives.
When to roam?
1. When you have just recalled and have time to help other lanes before going back bot
2. When the wave is pushed under tower or it is frozen near your tower
3. If going bot lane will not help you win 2v2, then you want to help others get a lead
4. Helping the jungler secure objectives or invade
Apart from looking for picks throughout the game, once the mid-game starts you want to start thinking about what your playstyle will be for the specific game - Engage or Peel? Your kit is designed to be able to do both of these things and this makes Thresh a strong support.
You want to be peeling for your carries when the enemies have a lot of ways to engage on to you. All of your abilities can be used defensively to help save allies which will help them then turn a fight around.
When to peel?
-Assassins on enemy team
-You have carries that do not have mobility
-Enemy has a lot of engage potential
Make sure to spot out any threats on the enemy team that you will need to watch out for and also make sure to know who the crucial carries will be for you to win the teamfights. This is how you will know when to peel, and also who to peel in order to win.
Thresh will excel in this with the pick potential in his kit. When your team is ahead and you are able to spot out any out of position enemies, then you want to be engaging to punish. The stronger the carries are on your team, the easier it will be for you to really punish the enemies with engaging.
When to engage?
-When your team has an engage comp
-Team is ahead and can force picks to close out games with lead
-Enemy team is playing to poke, you want to get to them asap and not let them poke your team out
-When enemies are caught out of position
Tips and Tricks
- If the lane is set in a way where the opposing adc is standing behind just 3 minions, most likely casters, watch their health bars. When you see your adc go to last hit one, immediately throw your hook at that minion and 9 times out of 10 you will catch the opposing adc off guard.
- Your Lantern (W) gives vision so you don't have to face check bushes when you want to go ward.
- Your Lantern creates a small terrain whereever you throw it, it's not massive but enough to force people to walk around a tower instead of going through the small opening at the side of the tower, you can use it to get a fairly easy hook as their pathfinding will be messed up.
- Sometimes throw fake lantern to apply pressure on your lane enemies. Make sure it's in proper situations tho, they probably won't fall for it if your jungler just died and both solo laners are happily farming. If done properly few times, you can tell your jungler to actually come, cuz enemy lane should be thinking it's just another fake.
- A good way at getting first blood is to lantern your jungle in and time it(which is easy with practice) and flash for extra distance/surprise factor. That way you can bring your jungle a pretty far distance into the lane and you can go a multitude of ways with it after that. You can immediately flay if you think you'll blow them up or to separate the opposing bot lane from one another. You could also go for the hook and save flay for their escapes.
- Save your W in lane if you think you're about to or in danger of getting ganked. If it comes to a situation where you both have to flash you can just W and flash so you save your adc's flash.
Additionally, if you walk toward your adc when they pick the lantern the moment they get to you, they'll stop behind you, which is useful if they are in danger of dying by things like cait ult or ez Q.
- You can cast your ult while throwing out the hook to save time and being able to ensure that you have enough time to get the enemy into the box whether with just the hook drag or additionally flaying them.
- If you see a lot of souls lyring around, but cant reach them because you get zoned, throw your lantern to them. The lantern picks them up.
- If you leave the range of the lantern, it will return to you and shield you (not when you already got shielded by it once).
- You can use your Flay (E), while you fly with your hook to your target. This can be good when you need to cc 2 different people.
- Use your hook on minions and monsters to escape.
- If you trade or all-in in your lane, it is not always good to reactivate the 2nd part of your Q (such as against Leona, Alistar or close to their tower against Blitzcrank)
I hope this guide helps you learn
I will be keeping this guide updated as any buffs/nerfs happen to him, or if there are any changes in the meta.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments or you can reach me on my streams. Come check me it out if you get the chance!
Some of the tips are through Madlife's streams when I used to watch and some are mine.
Thank you for reading this guide!
Consistently reaching masters on NA servers with 300 ping. Going for GM/Chally in S13.