S13 Leona Support Guide
Quick Leona Tank Support Build
Best Overall Build
Hey guys, I'm Turtle. I've been masters for 2 seasons in a row now while playing at 300 ping on NA servers (due to being in India for the time being). I have also been a
I hope you find this helpful and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask in comments or come watch me stream and ask there and I will try my best to answer all questions.
Check out more of my content on my twitch and youtube!
Come by the stream and ask any questions you might have! I try to stream daily, and it always is content as I am climbing the ranks while being on 300 ping!
Leona is one of the simpler engage supports to pick up and very easy to play in teamfights due to all of her CC in the kit. She can provide a lot of strong crowd control engages for her team while setting up really good picks for her carries, also she can be that big damage soaker when you need to get objectives such as dragons or barons. She can also fully lockdown any singular major threat on enemy team with all of her abilities. Leona is a champion you want to pick up if you enjoy engage supports, or if you are starting out learning engage supports because the playstyle is very simple.
- Lots of CC in the kit
- Very simple champion to play and learn
- Good engage ultimate
- Good roams
- Can be played with most comps
- Can CC lock any major threat
- Falls off late game
- If you get behind, you won't be that tanky
- Can be poked out early
- No sustain
- Team reliant, needs good follow up on the CC
- One dimensional mostly, mostly played to engage, can't really get out of fight afterwards
At the start of the game, make sure to know if your team has enough damage to be able to invade the enemy jungle, but also make sure to check that the enemies don't have a better level 1 comp. Good invades can lead to strong starts which can help you snowball and close out your games faster. YOU DO NOT NEED TO INVADE EVERY GAME
Leona has a very strong level 2 power spike which almost always guarantees a kill or a lot of summoner spells will be used. Try to prioritize getting the push in lane first to reach level 2 before the enemy bot which can get you a very strong lane prio. Remember to not force level 2 too fast otherwise the wave will be too close to their tower and they are allowed to play safely.
Sometimes the lane phase is not the best so you will have to play it a bit more passive and wait till the enemy makes a mistake. Once any mistake is noticed, then you want to punish it and take over that lane.
Your level 1 isn't the strongest unless they are walking too close and you can easily land your Q stun, but usually you will be getting poked out and just need to keep your health up until level 2.
Leona level 3 will be her best time to get leads in lane because you will have a lot off cc and also be tankier when engaging. If you don't feel confident at level 2, make sure to try to make plays at level 3.
Leona has a lot of lane presence because of her pick potential so make sure you are always a threat in lane and not being passive in situations when you shouldn't be. Play to get leads, you want to be aggressive. If you can't get the lead in the lane much, then look to roam.
This champion was made to be able to roam and help teammates easily due to the kit being so good. You have options to help teammates get kills in other lanes, or help them away from danger, while also helping the jungler secure obejectives.
When to roam?
1. When you have just recalled and have time to help other lanes before going back bot
2. When the wave is pushed under tower or it is frozen near your tower
3. If going bot lane will not help you win 2v2, then you want to help others get a lead
4. Helping the jungler secure objectives or invade
Leona is always looking to engage due to being pretty one dimensional. You want to be using your ultimate on the most fed enemy in most cases so they are not able to carry their team. Having good vision will help lead you to getting the picks you need to win the fights.
The main concept for Leona is knowing who the main threat is so you can use your ultimate on them, and also looking for picks on anyone because of the massive amount of cc that you have in your kit.
You also want to pay attention to any engage threats they might have. This way if they engage, you are ready to stun them so they cannot get to your carries.
Her kit is one dimensional - to engage and use the cc lockdown to get leads. BUT, you also want to make sure you are helping teammates with your cc who are getting flanked/engaged on. Make sure to not just tunnel on engaging when your team can't follow.
- You pretty much do nothing at level 1, except wait for level 2. If you feel like your lvl 1 is better than their's, you can start E and go in on their AD. Standard procedure is to start Q and just sit in the bush, and if they ward it kill it with auto-Q-auto
- You generally want to all-in at level 2 (especially if you hit it first). Of course you want to consider everyone's health and minion wave size (they will do a lot of damage at early levels)
- Your Q is an auto-attack reset, so you can kill an enemy ward before it goes invisible with an auto-Q-auto
- Hitting an enemy with your W "shield explosion" will extend the duration of the bonus armor/mr by 3 seconds
- Keep in mind that if you hit multiple enemies with E, you will dash to the last enemy hit with it
- Your R gives vision around the ult area
- Sometimes it's better to use Q or E first to make sure your R hits
- R is a relatively low cooldown (90/75/60), so you can all-in with it frequently
- When fighting, try to delay each of your spellcasts so your ally can trigger as much damage as possible through your passive
- Leona's E counts as a projectile for Braum's shield and Yasuo's wind wall
- Leona is a very strong roamer, consider doing so if the situation permits it
- Leona's E dash can be cancelled by enemy abilities such as Thresh's flay and Vayne's condemn
- Try to make it so the minion wave doesn't get to their tower, as Leona is useless when they are under tower (unless you can dive them)
I hope this guide helps you learn
I will be keeping this guide updated as any buffs/nerfs happen to her, or if there are any changes in the meta.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments or you can reach me on my streams. Come check me it out if you get the chance!
Thank you for reading this guide!
Consistently reaching masters on NA servers with 300 ping. Going for GM/Chally in S13.