Qiyana mid guide
What it says above ^
Best Overall Runes
Best Overall Build
Hello! I am SecretLime, I am a diamond mmr mid/adc player, and one of my comfort champions/mains in the mid lane is Qiyana. I personally love this champion and her uniqueness, depth, so I wanted to share the beauty and intricacies of this champion with all of you too.
To start off, why should you play Qiyana? Well as a player since her release, I have a more or less decent understanding of her and what she excels at, so I'm gonna list some pros and cons here:
- She is a very strong solo carry, able to win a teamfight/skirmish solo, be it with a good ultimate or a good flank on the enemy carries.
- Her W allows her to be prepared for almost all situations, her bush infusion is extremely good and useful in many situations, making this champion hard to catch.
- Also due to her w, she has very good roaming potential, her kit allows you to either invade (since everything in the jungle is an amazing place for an ult), or roam, and because of the movement speed you get when infused with water in river, you can pretty much outroam 90% of midlaners.
- Easily snowballs, after getting a few kills and most importantly an early serrated dirk, she can shove waves fast, roam and extend her lead, or just dive the enemy under tower with level 6.
- At level 6 she can easily dive most of the champions, or go roam bot lane and get 2 free kills under tower, also due to her ult, she can win any early objective fight.
- Cute and thick.
- Extremely hard to get back in to the game after falling behind.
- When behind she becomes an ult bot, with nothing much she can do, considering her also getting nerfed quite a bit in recent times, falling behind can hurt your win chance by quite a lot.
- Very easy to punish in lane before level 3, especially if going into a ranked matchup
So to nicely sum up, Qiyana is a strong 1 v 9 assassin with a high skill ceiling, strong roams, able to turn/win fights with good ultimates or flanks, but as a trade off she becomes way weaker than other assassins when behind.
Qiyana, like other assassins, takes electrocute as its main path, but when it comes to secondary runes, she is quite versatile, being able to take a lot of different paths depending on if she wants to be more agressive or defensive, when it comes to the rune shards, 2 adaptive force are taken always and mr/armor depends on your matchup/enemy team composition. (Ap dominant/matchup = mr, Ad dominant/matchup = armor)
- Standard rune path
- Corrupting pot start
When it comes to summ spells not much is different from any other assassins.
Qiyana's main strength comes from her q, which is why it's obviously maxed first, after her q, we put 2 points into w before maxing e (upgrading r when possible).
Her level 1 and 2 upgrades depend, at the start of the lane it is better to leave it not upgraded. Level 1 q, when: You see the melee minions are all at a kill zone, you take q to take them safely from range without trading much hp or not trading any at all. Level 1 w, when: The enemy is a skillshot/ranged champion, you use w to dodge early skillshots to avoid losing health before level 3. You can also take this when invading since the infused element gives bonus attack speed or when going into a melee matchup which is also weaker at level 1 to trade or possibly kill.
- Level 1 Q
- Level 1 W
Qiyana's first 2 items are most of the time the same (Prowler's -> Youmuu's), although the mythic can also be eclipse if going into tankier matchups. As for the third item, I find going serylda's grudge the best personally, but depending on their teamcomp you can also take Edge Of Night/Maw/Death's Dance. If you are laning vs a very ap bursty champ you can rush hexdrinker early to help you survive trades. Other options are very enemy dependant, for ex. You can take Black Cleaver into very tanky teams (Buying eclipse and serylda's before). You can take Serpent's Fang into shield heavy compositions (Lulu, shieldbow abusers, any other shielding enchanter) You can take chempunk chainsword into healing heavy team compositions, if your opponent heals a lot you can rush executioner's before buying anything at all. GA is also an option, if you are 1 v 9'ing games, so a death doesn't mean you instantly lost, it is also a good armor option, since it's buildpath includes a chain vest and most importantly a stopwatch (so you can make the zed mains feel even more salty). For boots, Ionian Boots are almost always the pick, but into heavy ad comps you can take Plated Steelcaps, and into heavy ap/cc comps you can take Mercury Treads.
Matchups and Synergies
Into any matchup, Qiyana becomes a champion able to trade and play the game at level 3 once her base combo's are unlocked. She struggles vs ranged matchups, I will include the hardest matchups for her below, and other's are either roaming or trading at level 3 and going for an all in.
- Hardest matchups
Qiyana, imo, is a champion that has framework comboes which can be improvised and built upon, I will name the basic building combo's which can be added upon based on your playstyle. The most important thing to remember and realise is that in all combo's you have to change the elemental infusion. Ice -> Rock. Grass -> Rock. Rock -> Rock could also work only if after the first rock q the opponent is below 50% hp.
- E + Q + W + Q - this is a combo, which should kill most squishies if you are ahead/have Prowler's.
- Q + W + Q - you can use this combo to poke for a distance or after using your e through a minion to close the distance between the enemy.
- Q + W + E + Q - is a very niche combo you can use when you are assassinating someone from an unwarded bush, since this combo gives the enemy less time to react + if you are using bush q they wont see you and can't do any point and click cc things, and if they try to run away your e lets you catch up to them and auto aim.
All - In combo's:
- E + R + Q + W + Q - use your r while you are dashing to target, since this gives less time to react and then while the target is stunned you quickly cycle Q + W + Q.
- R + Prowler's + Q + E + Q - this combo is very good if you have prowler's, since you can activate it while you r, this also makes the remaining entirety of your combo do 15% more damage.
Thanks for taking the time to read my Qiyana mid guide! I would like to give credit to the Qiyana Mains discord, for providing me more information regarding matchups. Good luck and maybe this will inspire you to become the next Beifeng.