"Oh What Delightful Agony We Shall Inflict"
Best Overall Runes
Best Overall Build
Hello everyone! My name is Jared and this is my Thresh guide!
I am Paralisys, a Masters support player on NA. Thresh has been my main champion since 2014, when I began to play the game.
Thresh is a champion with an extremely high skill ceiling, this means that the more skillful you are with him, the more you can achieve. His wide-ranged kit can save allies, disrupt enemies, and also set up kills for your teammates. He's very useful at all levels of gameplay, and has been a staple of the game since his release.
I have linked a video to his champion spotlight, which runs down his abilities in a great way!
These are the three main rune pages high-ranked players run for Thresh.
- The first is the new standard rune set. The preseason 12 changes made to Glacial Augment that make it an active slow on immobilizations was a huge boon to engage champions. Thresh has two ways of activating this rune, his hook (Q), and his flay (E). It has rapidly become a crowd favorite for him as it allows your team to close the distance, or create distance, with good activations of the rune.
- The Guardian set is a great choice when you cannot reliably activate Glacial Augment. The changes at the end of last season to the rune made the shield weaker, and the cooldown longer, making it much less reliable than it used to be. That being said, it is still a good choice for Thresh when glacial isn't optimal.
- The Predator set is a niche way to play Thresh. It sacrifices some utility for superior movement and roam capabilities. You would take this when you're in a bad lane matchup, or roaming is optimal for your team.
- Glacial Augment Set
- Guardian Set
- Predator Set
These are Thresh's standard summoner spells. Ignite is taken more often than exhaust, but in those lanes where there's minimal kill pressure, vs. all-ins or morgana, exhaust is preferred. ADC's have been covering the exhaust necessity so keep an eye on that.
- Summoner Spells
-The baseline ability path is my preferred ability max order. Getting max Q rank early reduces the cooldown of hook exponentially. Thresh's Q, Death Sentence, is one of the most memorable abilities in the game, and a good hook can easily turn games on their heads. Lantern is maxed second for team utility, and flay last by elimination. -The lantern max ability path allows you to provide more utility for your teammates. Not looking for the game-changing hooks? Go for lanterns and play through your team. -The flay max ability path is a little more unorthodox now. It used to be the best path, but with changes last season to the damage numbers and cooldown, it's very efficient at rank 1.
- Lantern Max
- Flay Max
Thresh has a couple builds. However, something to note is that Thresh doesn't NEED items to work well. He's actually one of the worst champions in the game with turning gold into power. That being said, it gives him more personal utility to accelerate the game in his team's favor. Here are some of the builds!
- The standard build allows Thresh to be mobile and match some of the 'meta' enchanters.
- The tank build targets hyper-carries within the game, and gives Thresh a lot of personal utility and tank stats.
- The Predator build gives Thresh even MORE movement and utility. Be careful though, this is less combat power and more about making map movements/plays.
All are great builds, and have their own situational uses.
Also note, most of the time Thresh will be stuck on 2 items, very rarely does he get all 6 in a game.
- Standard Build
- Tank Build
- Predator Build
Below I have ranked Thresh's matchups from easiest to most difficult with a moderate tier in between. Please note that these aren't unplayable hard counter matchups for Thresh. If you are skilled enough at Thresh and play vs the enemy support effectively, you can win any matchup.
Poke champions and Mages are difficult because they will keep you at max range, which is out of hook range, Thresh also struggles vs the sheer amount of damage output by mages. That being said, any champion that relies on a dash, Thresh can cancel it with his Flay (E), and be in a really favorable spot to return damage/ land a Death Sentence (Q).
- Very Difficult