Karthus Jungle S12
January 1st, 1 ⸱ 6 min read
is the best powerfarming jungler, with the unique ability to gank from anywhere in the map, something no other jungler can do. Karthus is a late game champion, weak to invades early, which is one of his main weaknesses.
Runes for most games
Why each rune?
- Further amplifies oneshot damage late game and is one of the best scaling runes in the game, perfect for
- Extra true damage can proc off the slow from
and teammates crowd control. is bad in the jungle and karthus has no dashes to make use of , unless you flash before every Wall of Pain
- Requiem Jungle is extremely weak to early invades, having means you can place a late ward at the buff you're pathing to (1:10), then walk to your starting buff, instead of backing for a sweeper like a normal jungler. Even when the ward expires, the Poro will keep you safe from invades.
- This rune allows you to have your ultimate up every single teamfight. has its uses for extreme poke comps, but is the better rune 99/100 games.
- Grants additional mana regeneration while fighting, helps with ganking when you don't have blue buff .
- this rune synergises with Karthus passive, as you will be granted the full damage amplification during your passive. Karthus
Why each rune?
- 9% true damage bonus on all damage + additional gold is perfect for the press R (
) playstyle of Requiem , allowing extra items to be built ahead of time.
- Free gold is always good, but this can be forgone in favor of , as some games, the early snowball of on a first back with is strong.
- No other rune in this trio is good for Karthus , and this allows early .
- Decreased cooldown and is very strong, as this can be the difference between winning and losing teamfights or objectives. No other rune in this trio is good for Karthus
- Karthus Jungle is extremely weak to early invades, having means you can place a late ward at the buff you're pathing to (1:10), then walk to your starting buff, instead of backing for a sweeper like a normal jungler. Even when the ward expires, the Poro will keep you safe from invades.
- This rune allows you to have your ultimate up every single teamfight. The decreased cooldown also enables more gold generation from . has its uses for extreme poke comps, but is the better rune 99/100 games.
is better in games when your team has an engage, as it allows Karthus to proc the extra damage and gold generation easier. In games where your team comp forces Karthus to be a pseudo engage, by flashing and using , is superior, as the damage + gold from is not as beneficial as the procs. Karthus
- Allows for mobility on an immobile champ and enables suicide plays that win teamfights.
- Situational spell, most games is superior, the only thing enables is early dueling power, which is not what
is looking for, making the summoner spell irrelevant. The only use of exhaust would be into an enemy team with 2 or more assassins.
You should be full clearing almost every game, and therefore
is not needed, the first point in Wall of Pain should be at level 4, after the full clear.
Wall of Pain P - After death, for 7 seconds Death Defied can cast all abilities, with no mana cost. Karthus is turned on permanently during the duration of the passive. Defile can be cast during this passive, as long as the time remaining in the passive is enough for the channel to complete.
Requiem Q - Grants vision of the area that it is cast in and does bonus damage if isolated (one target only). Can be used to leave base early at 00:05 with a pathing glitch.
Lay Waste W - Shreds magic resistance and has a decaying slow on all enemies hit. Grants vision of the area around the edge of the walls only.
Wall of Pain E - AOE magic damage that costs a lot of mana and refunds mana per unit killed, can be cast during and other stasis abilities like Defile , also works during Tempered Fate Tahm Kench . This is your main teamfighting ability and if enemies are forced to fight within it, there is no teamfight you lose due to the insane damage this can deal over time. Remains active during Devour .
Death Defied R - The ability Requiem is most well known for. Deals damage to all targetable champions on the map. It can be negated by items such as or even basic abilities such as Karthus . It also counts as an AOE ability if targeting more than one individual, meaning if Playful / Trickster is being cast on Requiem and his teammate, if he activates Jax , a defensive stance that reduces 25% AOE damage, Counter Strike damage will be lowered. This does not apply if it is only being cast on Requiem . Jax
is better for gold and below, where players are worse mechanically and will struggle to dodge
. The additional damage allows you to have counterplay against many assassins. is better for higher elo, as it will enable you to land Lay Waste much more easily.
Buy this if you predict you will snowball the game through ganks. Usually farming is more optimal.
Perfect buy after a full clear into successful gank, enables a very fast clear and solves all mana issues.
Buy after a full clear if you want to farm, buying two is also good, if you wish to rush lost chapter.
Perfect item for
, shreds tanks and is constantly applied, increases Karthus lethal range by a lot due to the burn
Probably the best item for
, Karthus still works and if combine this stasis state along with Defile , you can easily do 80% of the enemies HP bars in a teamfight.
Increases AP, do more damage.
- Death Defied
Get this item if they itemize any MR at all, as this will be very effective in shred. is a noob trap unless it's a game.
Healing is so prevalent in every game, making this item very valuable. applies this with each tick.
Good item in 1/100 games, when they cannot itemize MR at all, making you do true damage with the mythic passive, pair with this.
Good with only.
Strong item into movement speed oriented teams, and if you are behind, as it provides strong utility for your team. (
, Zeri , Singed and more)
Strong into 2 or more tanks, the max HP burn does a lot of damage.
Personally would never buy, because I die too much, but can be an option with a strong peel champion on your team, such as Hecarim , who can let you freely DPS from range. Nautilus